After sitting idle for nearly five years, this 27,000-SF, historic 1912 building, which once served as a neighborhood elementary school in Biddeford, was transformed into affordable senior housing. The building features 20 one-bedroom units and 4 two-bedroom units, 13 of which are fully handicapped accessible.
Many original features of the building were restored and reused, including the existing tin ceilings, all interior wood and window trim, and the antique chalkboards which are installed in the kitchens of each of the apartments. The original stage on the third floor now serves as a community space for residents, and the original wood floors in the corridors were refinished, as well as the terrazzo in the stair towers. Because the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, two of the five chimneys needed to be preserved from the third floor up. The bottom two thirds of the two chimneys were demolished, but structurally reinforced to support the upper sections.
In addition, a new roof was installed, all the windows replaced, and 100% of the exterior brick re-pointed. The basement features an additional community room with laundry and full kitchen. The renovations also addressed code issues and energy efficiency, including the installation of solar panels. An elevator was added, as well as a wheelchair lift.
MaineHousing Green Building Standards were followed on the project.